Saturday, November 7, 2015

So Cool for School

You never realize how good you have it until it's gone.

The last five years we've been blissfully unaware of the starting-school craze, and I can say with total honesty that there was only a small part of us (Jacob and I) that wasn't completely dreading it. Zoey, of course, has been ready for Med School since she was two. But we are very thankful and doing our best to enjoy easing into this experience.

Since you need to have a birthday by August 31st - and Zoey doesn't - she had to wait until she was age 4-turning 5 to start school. Technically, she could have entered a 3-4-year old preschool but I just didn't want to do that; we did a lot of school work at home, and she is never short on social engagements. Being at an older age also meant that she was MORE than ready, and nothing is better for school than unbridled enthusiasm. So I procrastinated as long as I possibly good, got her signed up, and started the age-old tradition of Back-to-School shopping, both fun and totally heartbreaking.

 Like any good shopping excursion, it started with pancakes.




 After getting her supply list satisfied, and picking a fabulous first day outfit, we got some fro-yo.



 Preschool orientation.

 Her own hook! I'm dying!!


Whoa there, Buddy; I still have three more years with you.

 And then her first day of school was upon us.

 Nothing compliments a completely-Anna-and-Elsa outfit like an Olaf backpack.

 Helper Holden!

 Ok, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry. No other mothers are crying, I can't be *that* one. And if I cry, there is the slight chance I might make Zoey cry. No, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry. You can cry in the car, you can cry in the car, you can cry in the car. Keep it together, keep it together, keep it together.
But by the time I got to the car, the feeling had passed. And then Holden took a nap when we got home and the house was legitimately silent for a couple of hours and I was like, why the heck didn't I put her in school sooner?!

 After we picked her up we went for ice cream. She said, "I love school so much, I didn't miss you one little bit!"