Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Splash Park...Fun?

 

Summer has officially started, and - yup - I bet you didn't know it could get that hot in Montana. It does and has been known to get hotter.

Although the water park is extremely affordable, it's not something we can do every day. Luckily, there are varying degrees of water-related activities to be found around the city, like the Yellowstone River when it's calmer than a mill pond, Lake Elmo, and splash pads at a few of the city parks. There are also a couple of community pools but I have yet to feel brave enough to face those crowds.

Zoey had so much fun at the splash pads last year, and she loves anything to do with water, that I thought it would be the perfect way to keep her cool and entertained. I was sort of right.

 One such hot weekday, I took her to a park by our house. She ran around a little bit, not entirely enthusiastic about getting wet but I thought that was just because the initial soak can be quite cold and shocking.




 But she came to me a short time later and said she was ready to go home. Some other kids weren't being particularly nice and I thought that might have been what spoiled her fun. So one weekend with blazing temperatures, I made the family hit up another park in a different part of town, thinking that it being bigger and with more children, she might find it more fun.

What it mostly did was highlight Reason 9,747 children drive their parents to drink.

Clad in her bathing suit and exhibiting high levels of excitement over the impeding splash park, she walked around it a few times then declared, "I want to play on the playground." When I asked her why she didn't want to play in the splash park - "You love playing in water." - she said, "I don't want to get wet." So we walked back to the car to get her dry clothes, and as we did so she decided, "Oh! I do want to get wet!" And ran back to the splash pad.





 Whaddya know - she wound up having some fun.

 In the name of keeping her cool and entertained, McBun and I joined her for some splashing fun.


 It still wasn't terribly long until she said she was really, truly done and ready to play on the regular playground.


 Monkey Bars 101. (I've never been able to do them.)



Stuck the landing!

Still drinking... At some point during her playground play, she sauntered back over to the splash park, not caring in the slightest if she got wet.

 I guess getting wet is way more fun in clothes that aren't meant to get wet... :-/



 But since those were our only dry clothes, it was back to the playground for a bit of drying off time.


By the end of the two hours, Jacob and I were the ones who were most exhausted. And although it didn't particularly look like it, Zoey insisted she had a lot of fun. We'll continue to hit up the various parks throughout the rest of the season since they *are* glorified sprinkler systems you don't have to pay for.