Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On My Soapbox

Like every other fall Sunday in America, this last weekend was a football weekend. And this year it seemed you couldn't have a football weekend without talking about Tim Tebow. No matter which side of the debate you're on, Tim Tebow has proved to be just as fascinating - if not more so - than people we encounter in the 3-dimensional world. I am getting on my soapbox to ask: why?

I actually did encounter 3-dimensional Tim Tebow once. Ok, I was in the same building at the same time and our paths never actually crossed but it still totally counts. I lived in Florida while he was playing football attending school at the University of Florida in Gainsville, and got front-row seats to the circus this college student created wherever he went; it was some of my fellow staff-members that were in charge of his security detail from his limo to the Capitol building. As a relatively newly-minted college graduate, this display (which happened twice while I was there) burned my butt as I had flashbacks of once buying only one package of Ramen Noodles for $.13. He was a COLLEGE STUDENT. Unless there were 75 other kids in there with $1.50 each, such treatment was completely unnecessary and blatantly over-the-top. What does this teach the younger set?

And aside from taking up time throwing passes down the House Chamber aisle to the Speaker when they could be marking the next Planned Parenthood to de-fund, or wasting tax-payer dollars for everyone to fall all over themselves during the 20 minutes he spends in the building, what is the point?

In all the media coverage about him, nowhere have I read about what he studied, or what his concentration was. He's praised for his outward Christianity and the ability to throw a football, not necessarily to where he originally intended, and not much else. Oh, right, except for the hand he played in his mother's decision not to have an abortion (sorry, had to go there). And - gosh dangit - I keep forgetting about the fight he withstood against claims it was unfair he could chose the high school he played football for merely because he was homeschooled. Poor, poor thing, suffered such hardships.

He is a good role model (so far). And he doesn't flaunt his lifestyle, just lives how he wants. And the media coverage of him isn't all bad since I was able to learn about his charity and mission work. No wait, that was from his Wikipedia page.

It's not Tebow I have any sort of problem with, just the god everyone has turned him out to be simply because he lives his life arguably as we all should: family and friends to love, and a god to worship. Why is is that we even spend time talking about this individual beyond, "yeah, he seems cool, maybe I'll start wearing Jesus eyeliner too and brave a mission to Africa to help starving orphans"? It can actually get to the point where a beer-fueled semi-heated debate starts to happen. And then there are the non-beer-fueled debates that take place in the form of "news" articles dissecting the latest Tebow gesture.

Those who find the love affair with Tebow nauseating (like myself) are labeled God-hating Liberals (as if the two are synonymous) when, really, we're just sick of hearing about it and him. Add in the fact that he's the "second coming of John Elway" and I really want to toss my cookies. I love football as much as the next slightly-aware female but the celebrity is getting a little annoying. We forget about the hundreds of other people doing the exact same thing, that there are other people with the same - if not better - abilities as Tim Tebow.

I concede, it's hard not to talk in-depth about people who grace our television and movie screens. And I admit that hearing about Tebow praying is a breath of fresh air compared to the litany of rape, weapons, drug, and dog fighting charges we get to hear about all too frequently. It's just too bad throwing a touchdown pass in the final seconds of over-time doesn't actually save the world; and the millions of dollars they receive every year in the name of income doesn't really do anyone any good beyond the confines of their bubble-world. And hours after the game is over, we forget all about it. So I just don't see why he's God, in my playbook.